Significance of the Bible
- The Roman Catholic Church believes that the Christian faith, and all that is necessary for salvation is handed down by scripture and tradition e.g. the sacraments and teaching of the Church
- At the Protestant Reformation Martin Luther argued that the Bible contained all that was necessary for salvation – sola scriptura
Own point of view and different points of views
- In order to get full marks on the last 12 mark question it is necessary to give another point of view, your own point of view as well as references to Christianity in your answer.
- Other religions have their own scriptures e.g. Islam believes that the Qur’an is the word of God as dictated to Muhammad by the Angel Gabriel, Hinduism has the Bhagavad Gita and the Vedas, Sikhism has the Guru Granth Sahib, Judaism has the Tanakh.
- Atheists would argue that the fact that there are so many different claims of revelation from God which contradict each other, they cannot be true.
- A more liberal approach might be that the different revelations is evidence of a deep longing in humanity for the spiritual.
- Non-believers might argue that people who argue that nature reveals God’s nature often ignore the ugly side of creation.