Freedom of Speech
- Freedom of speech is the right to say what you think without being censored.
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights upholds freedom of speech and expression.
- Some Christians might agree with freedom of speech as it allows them to openly preach the Gospel.
- Some Christians might be concerned that freedom of speech allows people to make statements which might be considered blasphemous.
- Most Christians would agree with freedom of speech providing it is used responsibly and does not offend.
- Up until 2008 blasphemy was a criminal offence.
Own point of view and different points of views
- In order to get full marks on the last 12 mark question it is necessary to give another point of view, your own point of view as well as references to Christianity in your answer.
- Islam has very strict rules about the depiction of the prophet Muhammad. In the film ‘The Message’ the life of Muhammad was told without actually showing him.
- Many Muslims were offended with the publication of Salman Rushdie’s ‘The Satanic Verses’ in 1988.
- More recently Muslims have been offended with the publication of cartoons of the prophet Muhammad in Danish newspapers.